Rogue Creamery’s Sustainable Business Practices
An artisan cheese company, with people dedicated to service, sustainability and the art and tradition of creating the world's finest handmade cheese.
Rogue Creamery began making cheddar cheese, butter and cottage cheeese in 1933 during the Great Depression and WWII. Oregon Blue Vein cheese was first created in 1954.
Our cheeses are handmade using only sustainable and natural grass-based milk with flavors influenced by new world terroir and innovation of traditional techniques.
Rogue Creamery’s History of Sustainability:
- 1933 Rogue Creamery Opens
- 2002 David Gremmels & Cary Bryant acquire Rogue Creamery
- 2004 Food Alliance Certified Sustainable
- 2005 100% Whey Reused
2007 Reduce, Reuse, Recycle Program Initiated
- 2008 50% Waste Reduction Goal Achieved
- 2009 “Nellie Green” Commute Program Initiated
- 2010 Solar Voltaic Panels Installed
- 2011 30% Energy Production from Solar
- 2012 45% Energy Production from Solar
- 2021 100% Energy Production & Zero Waste Goal
At the Dairy
- Two dedicated dairies, cow and goat. Both are certified sustainable by Food Alliance.
- Cows are grass fed with supplemental grain in the winter.
- No antibiotics used
- No synthetic fertilizers or pesticides used on pastures
- Manure and whey used for fertilizer at the farms.
Cheesemaking at Rogue Creamery
- Certified Sustainable by Food Alliance
- Certified for Organic production by Oregon Tilth
- 45% Renewable energy production (58kw photovoltaic system – among the largest in Southern Oregon)
- Nellie Green Commute Programs
- Free Kona bicycle for completing 45 round trip commutes – 24 Rogue Creamery bicycles on the road.
- Financial rewards provided for green commute to work (bike, walk, carpool, public transportation)
- 50% waste reduction at facilities
- Master Recycler on staff
- 100% reuse of whey
- 30% recycle content in all corrugated and paperboard packaging
- Container cap redemption program
- 100% recycle content office paper
- Electrical reductions through insulation, CFL & solar lights, solar tubes and more efficient equipment.
- Community Commitment
Purchasing and Distribution
- Commitment to buy and support local whenever possible
- Commitment to organic, sustainable, GMO free, and socially responsible goods (ingredients, organic t-shirts, soy inks, cooler bags, fair labor, benefits)
- Consolidate shipments for efficiency
- Limit internal truck use to maximize loads.
Mount Mazama wins its class at 2014 ACS! We are super proud of our cheese makers. Mount Mazama is made from a mix of cow and goat milk and aged 6-12 months.
» View more
Rogue Creamery's historic Cheese Shop is open 7 days a week and just 1 mile from I-5. It's the home of the best blue cheese in the world.
» Find out more information